Friday 1 August 2014

On The Beach ...

Yesterday afternoon was warm and sunny so we decided to head off to our favourite haunt, Norwick Beach. Hubby packed his new fishing rod & I took a couple of balls of Jamieson's Soft Shetland, my hooks and a secret stash of marsh mallows for an afternoon treat. Whilst I started work on an ear warmer, R set up his rod and Peerie Man and 'Ethel' played happily in the surf with visiting bairns. As usual it wasn't long before some holiday makers came along and we began chatting about everything from the Shetland weather and the Scottish Referendum to the places we had in common back 'south'. The crocheting progressed more slowly than I would have liked but who ever eventually buys it will have something made with sun, fun & laughter.
 
 
The colour of the yarn is Water Cricket and although at first it appeared to be predominantly mustard and khaki tones, as the light of the day changed, firstly the blue, then the green and finally the purple flecks became vibrant little gems gleaming out of the subdued background. I wanted to use a stitch that gave the band some texture and delicacy but without diminishing the warmth it would give, so after pouring over my little stitch book I decided to use Paris stitch. It can't be seen on the photo above but once completed I will photograph it again in close up. A plus of Paris stitch is that it gave the band a naturally scalloped edge which means that I won't have to edge it afterwards like I usually do.
 
After all the other folk had gone home I scoured the beach for drift wood and much to the wee ones delight we set up a small fire on a large rock and toasted marsh mallows on metal skewers. 'Ethel' thought it was all very 'Barbie Life in the Dream House', the rest of us just thought it was delicious!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment